Dealing with your small business’s day to day bookkeeping and accounting can be tedious and time-consuming as well as drawing you away from other important projects. FreshBooks is one of the most popular accounting aids on the market, designed to help you track and manage your business’s invoices and expenses with ease. In this article we do a FreshBooks review, and take a look at how happy customers are. We’ll also dive into FreshBooks pricing to see how it compares to the competition.
FreshBooks is a monthly subscription service with three different payment plans charted below. Each payment plan only supports one user, but additional users can be added for an extra $10 per month.
FreshBooks Pricing by Plan at a Glance
|FreshBooks Plan||Monthly Payments||Amount of Clients Billable|
FreshBooks offers and affiliate program that gives companies $55 for every referral that ends in a purchase and $5 for every referral that ends in a free trial.
FreshBooks Features at a Glance
Established in 2003, FreshBooks Cloud Accounting has become one of the biggest names in small business bookkeeping software. Here’s a quick look at the primary features it offers.
- Invoicing: Create and customize professional invoices in minutes. Set automated reminders for clients and charge their credit cards.
- Expense Tracking: Connect your bank account and track your spending automatically. Save and categorize receipts. Track budgets and bill expenses to clients.
- Time Tracking: Breakdown time spent on projects, keep track of your schedule and add billable hours to invoices automatically.
- Project Management: Open communication with employees and contractors, keep records and track project’s progress.
- Estimate Management: Create and customize estimates for your clients, transfer those estimates into invoices at the click of a button.
- Financial Reports: Calculate profitability and generate financial reports at a glance. Keep all the data you need for taxes in one convenient place.
- Mobile Apps: Create invoices, log receipts, and touch base with clients on the go.
Sign up for FreshBooks today from our link and get a 30-day free trial, so you have a chance to try it out and see if it’s right for your small business before you pay.
Who is FreshBooks Right For?
FreshBooks is best for small businesses with light bookkeeping needs and people who want to use it for basic accounting. FreshBooks doesn’t have some accounting features some businesses may need with it’s low report output, limited bank reconciliation, and no double-entry accounting. Adding multiple users to a FreshBooks account can be costly, so it also may not be a good choice for small businesses that want invoice software several employees can access.
On the other hand, FreshBooks billing and invoice features are excellent, and they provide intuitive and useful time and project management capabilities. FreshBooks also has the ability to integrate with other programs that can provide the features it lacks, like payroll. If it sounds like that covers your needs you should definitely give FreshBooks a look.
FreshBooks Reviews: Customer Satisfaction
FreshBooks has positive reviews from users online, praised as an accessible, easy to use timesaver. The company is also lauded as providing great customer service and technical support. FreshBooks has an A+ from the Better Business Bureau (though there are no customer reviews on their site yet).
Summary of FreshBooks Customer Reviews
|TrustPilot||9/10 from 246 reviews|
|GetApp||4.62/5 from 898 reviews|
|G2 Crowd||4.6/5 from 141 reviews|
Negative FreshBooks Reviews
Not every user has found SmartBooks’ user interface intuitive, and some have found it frustrating. Some of the negative reviews reported experiencing glitches while others found FreshBooks’ features lacking. SmartBooks has also been criticized for having low amounts of clients billable per account.
FreshBooks is far from the only invoicing software available, here are three of its biggest competitors.
- QuickBooks: QuickBooks offers similar services to FreshBooks, but includes features missing from FreshBooks like inventory, payroll management, and double entry accounting. QuickBooks offers monthly plans ranging from $15-$40. FreshBooks has better customer service and a more intuitive user interface than QuickBooks, but small businesses looking for more intensive accounting software would do well to consider QuickBooks too.
- Xero: Xero has a lot in common with QuickBooks. Their monthly plans range from $9-$180. Xero’s primary advantage is its customizability, as it can support an unlimited amount of users with a wide variety of permissions and specifications with room for over 500 integrations, making it especially worth considering for larger businesses. Xero has some of the strongest cloud security available. Xero’s disadvantages include the lack of project and job costing features as well as a poor selection of invoice templates
- Invoicera: This upscale invoicing software offers a myriad of features and settings over different payment options ranging from $19.95-$99.95 per month. Invoicera also offers a free plan that supports one user and up to three clients. Like FreshBooks, Invoicera is not full scale accounting software, but it does offer unlimited invoices, staff, and auto-billing which is more than enough reason for small business owners to take a look at it, though some may find Invoicera’s prices and range of features excessive.
In 2016, FreshBooks retooled their software to be more streamlined and modernized. While the company is going to continue to support FreshBooks Classic, as the previous version is now called, they will no longer provide it with new updates and features, focusing on their new product instead. Some FreshBooks users prefer the old product and some of its features, like inventory management and more integrations. Fortunately, new users can still sign up for FreshBooks Classic if they prefer. The pre-pricing plans still offered for FreshBooks Classic are outlined below.
FreshBooks Pricing by Classic Plans
|FreshBooks Classic Plan||Monthly Payments||Amount of Clients Billable|
The Mighty Oak plan offers 2 users and an additional timesheet feature as well. Customers already using the updated FreshBooks also have the opportunity to switch back to try FreshBooks Classic if they so choose.
FreshBooks System Requirements
FreshBooks is a cloud based software, meaning all you need to access it at any place and time is an internet connection. Their mobile apps are available for Apple (iOS 8+) and Android (4.2+).
The Smart Hack
FreshBooks is an acclaimed cloud-based software designed to help business owners create and customize invoices as well as track expenses, keep project records, and communicate with clients. FreshBooks pricing is a monthly subscription fee of $15-$50, depending on the amount of clients you want to bill, FreshBooks is praised for offering great customer service and making bookkeeping faster and easier than ever before.
FreshBooks is a best fit for small businesses looking to save time on rudimentary accounting. If FreshBooks sounds like a resource your small business could use, you can apply online today, and by using our link below you can try it out for free, without using a credit card, for 30 days.